Friday, August 16, 2013

Worms tomorrow.


It was a longish ride today to Mainz (marker 497) so I figured to do a 35 mile or so ride tomorrow to the town of Worms. Unfortunately, I just heard back from the Worms hostel that they could only get me into a dorm. No thanks, I have my limits. So I'll head down and take my chances elsewhere. I don't think there'll be a problem. I haven't had any yet. Clearly, Friday and Saturday nights are tight though.

I can't prove it but I think people are getting friendlier the further south I travel. Some are smiling and returning a head nod. There are also many more riders with saddle bags, some much larger than mine. Mostly middle aged, some families with kids and older folks; a real mix. Lots coming north. This would be the smart direction. I'm not complaining mind you, but every time I turn, there is a headwind lining up perfectly. Just once I'd like a tailwind. The weather has completely cleared and the trip down to Mainz was smooth going but for the wind.

Germans love their dogs and horses. People are out on the paths with their dogs, some on infinitely long leads, some off lead completely. Most corral their dog when they see me coming. One, a few days ago did not and I was very surprised when the dog came after me. I looked at the owner and with a withering look said 'that is not cool'. He started explaining or defending but it sure didn't sound much like the apology I was owed. Some owners have the retractable leads which may or may not meet the letter of the law (there's got to be a law), but that means I need to see and avoid this little line when at speed. I might go down if I hit that line, but the little dog is going to go airborne. I'd rather not see this.

The views between Koblenz and Bingen are the absolute best. Both before Koblenz and after Bingen, the valley is wide and open stretching miles. Between these two towns, the valley is narrow and the valley walls steep. The castles and fortifications look down from these hills.

I'm seriously thinking about turning right at Strasbourg and doing a bit more cycling than originally planned in France. Anxious to see if the French are warmer to cyclists. I'm still a couple of days away from that decision.

Yesterday evening I did the touristy thing and took the cable car from Koblenz to the Ehrenbreitstein fortification. Unfortunately, it was a bit late when I got there, so it wasn't possible to see the museum or inside the fort. The views of Koblenz , the Rhine and the Mosel were fantastic. I have attached some below.

I've also included a picture of a store which specializes in cuckoo clocks. My version if hell includes a cuckoo clock. Please do not even think of giving me a picture of one.

All is well. A bit saddle sore, but managing well. As long as there is sun I can keep churning out the miles. The knees are perfect, I don't know why. Usually they can be a little fickle. I could use a couple of days of doing nothing by the water and I'm looking for that perfect place. Perhaps it will have to wait till the Mediterranean.

The triangles are the traffic system for river traffic where the channel narrows and the bends become pronounced.

Many fountains, and impressive statues along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment