Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Montelimar to Carpentras 48 miles, Wednesday 28.08.13

I'm getting closer. Only 2 more days ride to the coast. I haven't yet decided where I'll park myself, whether Frejus or further up the coast. I stopped early today because I wanted a bit of a rest and I knew that there was about 120 miles between here and the coast.

Stiff wind today (15-25 mph) and for much of the time it was a tailwind. I flew here.

The receptionist where I'm staying is from Stuttgart. She asked where I'd come from and told her Berlin. No, really.. Berlin. It happens now. That's just a little farther than normal. We started talking about the contrast between east and west Germany and I mentioned that it was a bit difficult getting coffee and a roll in the little towns in the former DDR. She got it instantly....'you don't have a home?' That's it. Nobody needs to buy coffee because you do it at home. Not withstanding the bike with bags, it's just not something you buy outside and prepared.

The hotels and inns I've stayed at have all been wonderful about the bike. I roll it right through the lobby into waiting utility or empty meeting rooms. No problem, it's just normal.

My favorite chocolate in the world comes from Brussels, Belgium and they have a store here. I will be leaving money there in about a half hour. Too bad it doesn't keep. They also fly it in to SFO for a store in Walnut Creek. I get some when the mood hits and I'm near.

I had a pair of shoes and cleats like these. The shoes were Italian and much too narrow and the cleats worked miserably but it was the best there was in the 70s.

The mailboxes no longer need keys. Convenience or crime?

This little tough reminded me of the identikit pictures of the unibomber. He was with mother and sister and was moping about. Who let's kids go out like this? Does anyone even know who he's evoking or is it my own bias? I think he needs a smack. Good I didn't have kids.

And if I'm able to publish tonight we have McDonalds to thank. No, I didn't eat here. I'm going elsewhere now!

No comments:

Post a Comment