Monday, August 19, 2013

Kehl today.

It poured for about an hour at mid-day. I thought I was going to need water wings. Before I got soaked, I took cover under a bridge. I left the bike at street level and climbed up the abutment to get a bit more shelter. Drivers were surprised to see me up there but it was quite safe and dry. Although the rain tapered a bit, it seemed as though I could be there all day so I rearranged a few things and buttoned everything down.

About 15 minutes later, I found a bakery in a little town and ordered  coffee and a beautiful piece of blueberry cake. What can I do? There were no carrots. Also, no coffee. Something to do with a coffee machine which has authority to make independent decisions about when it does and does not work. Eventually it worked and I got coffee. The wet rat look is apparently common because no one offered anything like sympathy. I guess when you have winters like they do, only absent appendages rate a word.

The hostels all have slightly different rules. I've been to 7 or so; I am the expert. They are different enough to throw me. Last night I took a shower in the woman's shower. Now all of them have the same rules regarding showers. I only got away with it because not only I didn't know, but no one else was around. In the morning, imagine the young lady's surprise and upset when I walked in. She was startled, but completely encircled by a towel. She was very nice about it. No doubt this is not her first encounter with an idiot American. In my defense, the signs were weird but I kind of understand.

The sun is out now and I'm off to see if I can get to Strasbourg. It's just over the river. Maybe I can walk....to a bridge and over.

After mentioning the horror of these bike tracks I had to use one again today. Because of the combined weight of the bike and bags, I needed to remove the bags before I could lift the bike. What an operation. This was a bridge over a canal used to bring coal to this power station. It was the only way over for miles.

Their power stations are all beautifully designed and maintained. Not like ours.

By the way, I've been following the unfolding NSA story. It's pretty up setting. Glen Greenwald's boyfriend was detained for 9 hours in London enroute Berlin to Brazil. All his electronics confiscated, and he was not allowed to consult an attorney. Somehow this is all under color of terrorism. Check out the Guardian article if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment