Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Dinner on Tuesday

When wandering around in Wuppertal on Tuesday, I found an Italian restaurant I wanted to return to in the evening when it opened. Turned out to be a cozy little corner place with a genuine Sissilian owner. It  quickly became apparent that we didn't have any language in common, but I wasn't too worried; I've never left a restaurant hungry.

The owner immediately pointed out another customer with who spoke English.

Walter was a gentleman in his 70s sitting with a grad student from the local university.

He asked how I happend on this place because it was the best in town. The owner was a sweet old guy who, if you shared a common tongue, would tell you all about his mafiosi connections. The story went that there had been a fire in the restaurant's recent past and he wasn't happy with the insurance payout. After describing what his friends could or would do, the payout was improved. True or not, a good story.

Walter, came from Mississippi to Munich and then Wuppertal by way of Berkeley 35 or so years ago. As a toxicologist and chemist, he worked for the university up until mandatory retirement at 65, a few years ago. Chlorine based pesticides, his specialty. The mandatory retirement was a sore subject, but his boss, being a professor and department head, had brought him back to consult even after retirement.

I asked Walter to please ask the owner to bring me whatever the owner liked, and ein beer bitte, and ein gross salade.

As I started my dinner, Walter said goodnight but not without warning me that the owner offered some customers a glass of grappa at the end of dinner and one needed to plan accordingly. The veal scalopene was quite good.

When the bill and grappa was presented, I asked the owner to please add a bottle of wine for Walter from me, for the next time he came in. The message received loud and clear and appreciated.

Who knows how I picked that restaurant, but it happens sometimes.

A particularly nice and unexpected evening.

The kicker is... Walter told me that if I came a day earlier I would not have seen the monorail working. It had been down for an extended period of maintenance. Both he and the hostel folks were amazed at my timing. Dumb luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment