Thursday, August 1, 2013

Day 1. So Far, So Good

I'm pooped but it's been a good day. John and I and the apartment property manager met up within 10 minutes of my predicted eta; including 6000 miles of air travel, one late flight, a seriously overloaded bike, and Berlin rush hour traffic. I've begun the process of shedding and redistributing weight. It may not be light, but I can do better. I think I've already tossed out a pound or so.

The flight from SFO was long and uneventful. I slept a little on the plane. Not sleeping much, by getting up an hour earlier each day for the previous three evenings seems to have tricked my circadian rhythm because I don't feel particularly jet lagged.

The transfer in Frankfurt went quickly though the German Customs agent took a mighty long time before letting me in. Who knows what that was about. Possibly a slow computer.

Unpacking and assembling the bike drew an audience of well wishers. Thankfully this performance resulted in a loaded bike I was able to ride off the premisses. I've been telling folks I'm from California rather than the US and this little trick has worked like a charm.  Be safe and good  have been the universal wishes.

We did seem to break one thing today and that was the only elevator in this 7 story building. Since the apartment is on the 5th floor, this caused some huffing and puffing until it was fixed a few hours later.

John and I got to do a walk around museum island, sit for a beer people watching along the Spree and then Italian dinner which included a very nice thin crust pizza done in a wood fired oven. It was a much fuller day than it imagined possible.

John's looking good and is very anxious to do many or all of the same things I want to do, so tomorrow we'll head out early to continue the adventure.

I'm taking photos but am having some difficulty posting them right now. I'll keep trying but enough for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment