Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Saint Vallier To Montelimar, 65 miles Tuesday, 27.08.13

I'm having a little difficulty with the front wheel. It's making some spoke noises. It won't stop me unless it gets worse, but it would have been nice to have a real wheel builder look at it. I'm carrying a bit of weight over the front wheel.

It started about mid-day yesterday and I did all the usual things to resolve it. First I gave all the spoke a quarter turn tighter then I applied some oil to all the points at which spoke cross. No luck. The wheel won't fall apart, but it is annoying and probably a 15 minute fix.

Your problem is not my problem. Now please quickly remove yourself from my presence. You are annoying me.

Tournon has 3 shops. The first was closed for holiday. Not surprising since many shops are closed this week. The second shop listened intently (I prepared the proper translation. Thank you Google Translate.) They were quite sympathetic but this was the last day of work before their vacation and they could not take this on, but they did refer me to one other shop just across the Rhone. I found the shop and once again explained the situation with a smile on my face. The owner was less than sympathetic. He was busy and couldn't possibly take it on. When I gently pressed he got downright surly. Permit me to whine. Whenever I've gone to a bike shop in the US with a problem while on a ride, especially when speaking with the owner, they try to fix the problem, even if they're busy. I've never had the sense that asking for help generated annoyance.

I did get my memory card backed up to a DVD today. This is the second time I've done it, but it would be a shame to lose these shots.

A word about smells. The fruit orchards are incredible. I think the peachs are quite fragrant right now. Just amazing. On Sunday there were smells of dinner preparation. Reminded me of my grandmother's cooking. She was an excellent cook and did French country fare.

I've been eating quite a bit of unwashed fruit. Am I going to die? So far no nasty bugs, but washing on the road just isn't an option.

More nuclear energy. I should have called my blog the European reactor tour. Felix was telling me that Fesinheim, the site with the beautiful bas relief I published several days ago, is very contentious. It's one of the oldest French reactors, but Germany is downwind if anything goes wrong.

Good thing the French have this broken equipment thing down pat. There are crummy English translations all over the place. It only concerns me when the fire plan in the hotel is ambiguous.

I had dinner at this place. Vegetables are hard to find in restaurants. The farmers grow them. I see them in the fields but when it comes to the menu they are elsewhere and in very limited supply. I haven't seen a Mediterranean diet yet.

Montelimar is just a city. Not all that compelling. I won't miss the traffic here.

I ordered vegetarian couscous at this place. It was delicious.

Ann and Marty's place is still at risk from the Rim fire. They've been moving stuff out just in case the fire jumps the breaks.

What's the deal? I've only been gone a few weeks and we're preparing to bomb the hell out of Assad. No loss, he, but are we ever going to stop?


No comments:

Post a Comment