Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Wolfsburg is dangerously low on wolfs.

Better day today. The predicted thunderstorm held off and the overcast prevented it from heating to yesterday's temperatures. With some pre-planning of the route, navigating wasn't nearly so stressful even when the 3 week old GPS kept crashing. Didn't make any significant route deviations at all.

Took a ferry over the Elba, passed through a military facility where soldiers play with lasers and tanks and went from the former DDR to the west, that's a lot for one day.

64 miles yesterday and 70 today. I'm on schedule. Wolfsburg was a planned stopover day so I could see Autostadt, a big car showroom with an admission charge. Its a guy thing, don't ask.

Not to make any generalizations but, Germans are a funny lot. I nod to folks on the bike and only rarely do I get any acknowledgement at all. They don't know me and pleasantries are unnecessary, inefficient and potentially dangerous? Whatever. Kids say hi. Maybe it's generational.

The countryside and towns are achingly beautyful with farmland, forrests and really tall wind generators. Many of the buildings are decaying. Probably for lack of money.

The towns of the former East Germany have very few markets or gas stations. I just don't think they need as much as westerners where there appears to be more opportunity for food and gas. On a bike, my needs are few, but sugar and drink are the fuel of champions, and coffee and chocolate.

So, what's the deal with rabbits in Wolfsburg? They're all over the place. Little bunny rabbits. Obviously the predators are gone. There are more per square foot than there are squirrels in California. I'm not complaining mind you. Just wondering why the locals haven't squared this away, as it were.

The palace below is the New Palace in Pottsdam and it was taken yesterday. All others were today's ride. 

I've been eating like a horse. No really. Everything in sight.

This silly formatting is not my idea. It's the computer's fault.

Tomorrow after the VW facility, I'm hoping to go to Wolfsburg castle where there are apparently 3 collections of something. I will report back tomorrow.

Thanks to those who have expressed concern for my safety while TAA. Traveling as an American. On the road I feel safer than in the states. The truckers really pull over to pass and they slow down if they can't do it safely. Drivers of cars are watching and actually stop to let bicycles have priority. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it over and over. The game of chicken we play in the states doesn't happen here. Perhaps because so many ride. I avoid large gatherings, especially McDonald's and other American chains, and especially tour busses. I avoid all tour busses regardless of nationality. And the clueless. So, whatever happens, happens. With all the t-storms out here the metal bike might not have been the best choice, but it what I got.

Bye from Wolfsburg, Germany.



No comments:

Post a Comment