Monday, August 12, 2013

Germans must think we're pretty strange

'... when they come to the states and can't find tinned olives in coin operated vending machines. The Holiday Inn Express wasn't so express as to miss this critical item. What are they using olives for at, say 2:00 am when the olive sellers are tucked in bed? Every small town, even in the east, has a cigarette machine. Some have condom machines. Only once olives.

The ride to Dortmund was tiring, made worse by poor route planning and a crummy faded sign. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt but I had to backtrack about :40 minutes and found my error. The sign was just completely faded. Apparently I'm not the only one who's noticed faded signs, because some have been filled in with sharpies.

Now to the pictures.

The 'just do it' image which was used to support the Allied war effort has been twisted to sell something at the local VW dealer. Not sure what, but whatever it is, it's hard to imagine they understood the purpose to which the original image was put.

The bars on the window of that old building clued me in to the fact that they were either keeping someone out or in. Curiosity got the better of me so I went off trail and swung around the front of the building. Some very unhappy men and one woman were being led into a fenced area. Concertina wire made it clear this was a prison.

Look closely at the photographer and subjects. They are all lifesize. It's quite a scene.

Because I knew you wouldn't believe the olive dispensing machine, here is the proof.

And finally. This hotel has little tags on the pillows telling you which one is hard and which soft. Mama bear and papa bear pillows. I picked what I thought was appropriate and woke up with a massive crick in my neck. So much for options.

I've been reduced to Starbucks to send this. I suppose I'll have to buy something now.

No comments:

Post a Comment